Thursday, June 2, 2011

Margarita Granita


Most people kick off summer by firing up the grill.  I prefer to kick it off with my margarita granita.  Yes the warm weather is finally here, and I'm all about going to the pool, getting pedicures, and enjoying margaritas.  This granita takes margaritas to a whole new level of fabulous!  
It's loaded with tequila and Grand Marnier, and the lime zest is simply divine.  I suggest making a big bucket of this just to have on hand.  Believe me, it won't last long.  It's the perfect treat for those hot summer days when you're relaxing at the pool, and those hot summer nights ;)  This is also a fabulous dessert to make for dinner parties because I don't know about you, but when it gets really hot the last thing I want to do is turn the oven on.  I love serving the granita in margarita glasses rimmed with salt, and a wedge of lime.  I must admit it tastes just as good right out of the container, which may or may not have been how it was consumed this past weekend...


Margarita Granita
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 6T. Tequila
  • 4T. Grand Marnier
  • 2T. Triple sec
  • zest of 1-2 limes
  1. Make a simple syrup with the sugar and water.  Simmer water and sugar in small saucepan till sugar is dissolved.  
  2. Remove from heat.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
  4. Transfer mixture to a shallow baking dish and freeze.
  5. Every few hours take the granita out of the freezer and scrape the top of it with a fork.  I like to do this 3 times.

25 comments:

  1. YUM! Yes, it's definitely summertime! We will be enjoying these by the pool also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!!! What a great way to enjoy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/02/2011

    Fabulous photo, you make this drink look amazing. What a treat to serve this to guests for a summer BBQ. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh! So nice and perfect to break in the summer months :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one good looking margarita!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I come and hang out with you? This is summertime in a glass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family would love me (and you) for this recipe...we are margarita-lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so simple. And soo delicious. Thanks for the recipe, Meghan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks gorgeous...I wouldn't mind kicking off summer with that!! So delicious, so refreshing, so summery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're absolutely right....a great big frozen margarita is the perfect way to start of the summer. This one is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE granitas! And this looks both beautiful and refreshing! The problem with making a big bucket is that I would eat the big bucket! Great recipe! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures are divine! What a great way to start the summer - it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yeah! Another winner! It's been so dang hot here that anything cool is at the top of my list...and as a margarita fan, this looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pinning this one for a party I'm throwing next weekend. My friend LOVES margaritas, so this would be an excellent palate cleanser!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This takes me to a happy place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww man today would have been perfect for this, wait tommorow would be just as good!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. The best way to enjoy a day is Tequila!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely presentation and photo of this refreshing Margarita granita!
    A perfect choice for the long hot summer as a nice and refreshing cool down...feel good choice:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so refreshing! Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. nothing says summer time better than a refreshing drink and pool time.
    Loved the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How delicious does that look! Stunning photos. I feel cooler already!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This recipe should be called summer. Change the dictionary I say!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  23. Closing my eyes and imagining a long, cool sip...

    ReplyDelete
  24. My idea of a summer kick off as well...so tempting! And just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I have one please? BTW Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete