Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring Time Lemon Napoleon


The one thing that comes to mind when I think of Spring is a new beginning.  The warm weather puts me in a good mood and I'm ready to take on new projects.  I usually tackle at least one home decorating project, and I try to get rid of all the clutter in my house and my life!  This usually starts with me cleaning out my dressing room which by the way is really just an excuse to make room for all the new shoes I want to add to my collection :)
Now when it comes to spring time dessert I instantly think of lemon and lots of berries.  I usually make a lovely lemon cake, but this week I wanted to try something new.  Lemon curd was definitely going to be involved so I decided to go with a napoleon.  I fell in love with napoleons in pastry school.  They are so classic and they always look super elegant.  Instead of using puff pastry I used a shortbread cookie.  Of course I didn't just want to use my typical shortbread so I decided to add cornmeal to the dough.  WOW! I can't say enough about these cookies!  The cornmeal gives the cookie an awesome texture, the orange zest lends a really nice brightness where you're not expecting it, and when you bake the cookies they stay soft similar to a tea cake.  I layered the cookies with lemon curd that I lightened with whipped cream.  I finished it off with raspberries and garnished it with a butterfly cookie.  It is light and under stated, and the components really complement each other wonderfully!  The finished product looks really pretty and is perfect for Spring!
Now that dessert is taken care of I can get back to my dressing room, and hopefully start painting my treadmill room/office this weekend.  Happy Spring!





 Corn meal shortbread

  • 1 1/4 cups AP flour
  • 1 cup corn meal
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 6T. melted butter
  • zest of one orange
  1. Mix dries and zest together in mixer.
  2. Add melted butter and eggs mixing just till dough comes together.
  3. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling out.  If you are not going to roll out the cookies, form dough into a log and chill.  You can just slice and bake them if you choose.
  4. Bake at 325 degrees for 12-14 minutes till golden.
Lemon Curd

  • 4 yolks
  • 1/2 cup + 2 T. sugar
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup + 2T. lemon juice
  • 4T. unsalted butter
  • pinch of salt
  1. Whisk ingredients together over low heat till thickened.
  2. Strain and cool.
  3. Place plastic wrap directly on the curd and refrigerate.
Assembly

  1. Whip 1/2 cup heavy cream and fold into lemon curd.
  2. Layer 3 cookies with lightened curd.
  3. Top with whipped cream and raspberries.





35 comments:

  1. Great picture and anything with lemon has to be good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice presentation. Perfect for Spring. I will give them a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am completely on the same page about cleaning...about berries, lemons...about these! They are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love shortbread, and lemon! This just looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shortbread looks wonderful! This and the lemon curd and berries definitely say spring to me :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! The lemon curd and the berries are so perfect for Spring,I can't wait until it is berry season over here. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I scanned the last pic with my eyes many times, while trying to keep my mouth closed :)
    Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! So perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your napoleon looks wonderful...so Springy with the lemon and raspberries...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so testy and beautiful! Love those raspberries on top..

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great and I think I prefer your shortbread version to puff pastry. Lemon and raspberries are a total winner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spring has really sprung with this recipe this is a real winner and a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are just cute as heck. :) Lovely job!

    The corn meal shortbread is such a neat touch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely refreshing start to Spring. I am totally with you with changing around the dressing room and sorting things out for Spring. Great time of year for new projects. Cheers with a good cuppa and your lemon Napoleon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The lemon curd oozing out in between is making my mouth water! -Elyse @The Cultural Dish

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmm, they look great!! I could eat them right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy I found your blog. Adorable and puts a smile on my face :)

    The Souper

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love shortbread and this sounds absolutely delicious! Definitely makes me think of spring and summer just looking at it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been having shortbread cravings since strawberries started popping up in the supermarket...this variation looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the top 9 today! These cookies are lovely and I can't imagine how they must taste.

    would just the cornmeal shortbread freeze well, so the base could be made ahead?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh these look incredible!! I can't wait to try them. I have been experimenting with shortbread and did not think to try cornmeal- sounds great!I have a bag of lemons here waiting to become something wonderful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous3/26/2011

    What a gorgeous dessert! I love the idea of a corn meal shortbread. Congrats on the top 9! :)

    Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels

    ReplyDelete
  24. How tempting! Too bad i gave up sweets for lent!
    Check out my blog: http://theaddictedbaker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. This dessert has spring written all over! What a beautiful presentation and photos are amazing! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always wondered what to do with lemon curd other than stir it into greek yoghurt... They look unique and delicious, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous3/26/2011

    Looks delicious and perfect for the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for all the lovely comments!

    @Becky- The shortbread does freeze well. I actually have a log of it in my freezer now so when I'm short on time I can just slice and bake!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful ode to Spring, these are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous3/29/2011

    These look lovely! I can honestly say I have never had a Napoleon before...maybe I will have to fix that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous3/29/2011

    The photos make the Lemon Napoleon’s look yummiest—nice article and nicer to have the recipe. Thank you, keep baking and posting Butrcreamblondi!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the Napoleon paired with the lemon curd, whipped cream, and berries. So yummy, and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks wonderful. I love the lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, the shortbread is wonderful. I fear my replication of this won't be near as beautiful: but the shortbread is delicious, and the curd looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lemon is the perfect ingredient for spring. These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete